Re: [xml-dev] Ten Years Later - XML 1.0 Fifth Edition?

Dave Pawson wrote:
> Elliotte Harold wrote:
>

>> I would suggest a putative XML 2.0 follow roughly Tim Bray's
>> skunkworks proposals. Specifically I'd like to see:
>>

>> 3. Expand the list of predefined entity references to include what's
>> defined in HTML and MathML.
>
> Elliotte. You mutter about Unicode changes/stability, just how
> stable is this set of entities?

Reasonably. We'd just need to agree that we won't have every entity
everybody needs; just a reasonable set that a lot of people need.

The current mess is caused by insisting as a moral imperative that we
support every character anyone might ever want rather than accepting a
plausible subset that fulfills somewhere between 99.9% and 100% of what
people actually do need. Absolute positions that insist on fulfilling
every conceivble use case have two problems:

1. They don't actually work. You can never cover everything.
2. Specs become too encumbered with corner cases to be plausibly
implementable and understandable.

> Could this be handled in the same way that you propose for Unicode
> version attributes?
> I.e. define them outside of xml 2.0 and reference the 'set' in use
> with the version of xml?

No, because then we'd need to define some spec for listing the entities.
  The spec for Unicode properties already exists.

Perhaps we could simply allow undefined entities not to be a
well-formedness error. (For a non-DTD-reading parser that's already the
case) and allow different schema languages to define entities in their
own ways; but I'd find that not especially interoperable and I'd prefer
to avoid it.

We have 10+ years of experience now to know that very few people bother
to define new character entities. Consequently I'd prefer to just leave
that capability out of a smaller, simpler XML 2.0. There's always
decimal and hexadecimal character references if you need it.

(Speaking of decimal character refs, that's probably something else we
could drop in the name of simplicity. Hex is what almost everyone uses.)

Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!