Re: [xml-dev] Ten Years Later - XML 1.0 Fifth Edition?

I'm afraid I'm not seeing the big interoperability problem here.  At the
dumb computer level all these characters are just patterns of bits.  It's
only us smart users that give these bit patterns the semantics to be able to
tell a letter from a number etc.

It seems to me that a tag (or more specifically at the interop level, the
bit pattern for a tag) is either one you want, or one you don't.  If you
don't want a tag, I can't see why receiving a tag containing HEXAGRAM FOR
THE MARRYING MAIDEN is any more of a problem than receiving a tag with
'hkyt87sa'.

Surely one of the big stories of XML is that it is fully internationalized.
Saying XML is mostly internationalized doesn't sound so good and makes it
sound flaky and dated.

And I agree with John Cowan's blog that morally these additional languages
should be supported [1].

Norm Walsh's blog mentioned that Cherokee was one of the newly supported
languages [2].  If Cherokee was my preferred language and I wanted to write
tags in Cherokee then sure, I would not get ubiquitous interoperability
immediately.  But then again, chances are that an XML language defined using
Cherokee is not going to have a huge global impact and it would be
reasonably easy to ensure that all systems that used this language use XML
edition 5.  (They could even update their own versions of Xerces and/or
libxml.  I can't imagine that it would be that hard to do.)

So the Cherokee and other language speakers have to be a bit patient while
the changes flush through the system before they can assume that the
Cherokee XML languages will interoperate smoothly.  However, I think that is
a better situation than the W3C dictating that all those language speakers
will never be able to use their preferred language.

Regards,

Pete

[1]
http://recycledknowledge.blogspot.com/2008/02/which-characters-are-excluded-in-xml.html