Re: [xml-dev] ten years later, time to repeat it?

Pete Cordell wrote:
>> The lack of types is what makes XML a distinct improvement over some
>> competing efforts. It is not an accident or an oversight, but part of
>> the core value proposition of XML.
>
> Maybe for some.  But not for all.

The lack of typing is a problem for some people.  However, I'd argue
that inserting typing into the core of XML would create much larger
problems that are harder to fix than just using xsi:type is for people
who want such typing.  (And xml:type is a feature addition that's
incompatible with subsetting in any event.)

I've argued for years that people who want strong typing in their data
transfer would be wiser to create a different format that addresses
their needs instead of forcing their needs into a format that wasn't
really designed to do what they want.  That's part of why I've been a
strong supporter of YAML and JSON.  (Okay, ASN.1 wasn't such a good idea.)

It's pretty clear that I haven't convinced everyone, though.

Thanks,
Simon St.Laurent
Retiring XML troublemaker
http://simonstl.com/