RE: [xml-dev] Ten Years Later - XML 1.0 Fifth Edition?

> I need a 1-to-1 mapping between file system directory/file
> names and XML names. I am generating a meta data (the XML
> output) to be used by another tool (which physically
> sees/processes the directories/files and consults the XML
> meta data for some processing).

You don't need it, you want it.

Generally it's best if element and attribute names are names of types, not
of instances. If you've got 23 files in a directory you want to represent
that with 23 <file> elements containing different data, not with 23 elements
having different element names. The limitations on choice of characters in
element names are only one of the reasons for preferring this design.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/