Re: [xml-dev] ten years later, time to repeat it?

Robin Berjon wrote:
> You already have a namespace URI and a local name, why add a type? I've
> only ever seen xsi:type used badly. Document-level casting is silly,
> really. It's like saying "what this really is is a whale, that's what it
> is, but I'm going to call it a lemur, just because. I think someone said
> I could only have lemurs. Yeah it's a lemur; a humongous, blubbery water
> lemur."

You dug this one right out of your siglist didn't you?

True, the expanded name is all one needs to look up the documentation
and figure out the actual type manually, but a schema is used to
automate the plumbing for validation or, say, deserializing XML to
objects or whatnot.

That way your code will work whether it handles lemurs or not :-P

Cheers,

Manos