xml:type (Was: Re: [xml-dev] ten years later, time to repeat it?)

Summarizing my latest thoughts on the 'xml:type' issue, I, at least, get a
bit confused when people talk about 'typed' data.

So if people that say they don't like typed data mean that they prefer:

    <foo>123</foo>

to:

(or similar) then I agree.  If a device (maybe a human one!) doesn't know
how to process a <foo>, then knowing it's an int is probably not going to
help it much.  (Does anyone think this is the wrong way to look at it?  If
so, why?)

I do think it's very important to be able to specify what type a <foo> is,
e.g. to say <foo> is an int, and maybe the max and min values etc.  Being
able to validate that it is what it's supposed to be at a fairly automated
low level is also very handy.  How you specify that is less important, but
given that it's an interoperability issue, it makes sense that the method
you use is widely understood and supported.

The use-case I was initially interested in for having xml:type is the case
of XSD polymorphic complex types (c.f. OO polymorphism).  I agree though
that this is a pretty grim use-case.  xsi:type is also often used as some
form of poor man's co-constraint (and I agree there are often better ways
that this could be done).  If XSD1.1 supports co-constraints, maybe the rare
use-cases for xsi:type will reduce further.

As a result I agree that it shouldn't be promoted to a first class citizen,
even if it is a dog to implement as it is (at least for data binding).

Cheers,

Pete Cordell
Codalogic
For XML C++ data binding visit http://www.codalogic.com/lmx/