Re: [xml-dev] XML 2.0

I, personaly, can't read files from looking at my hard disk or at my network cables : we have programs to transform electronic signals to more human intelligible informations. And I am not sure that text format should be the unique format for XML : a recommended compressed format would be fine for size and completion, even with multiple roots.

I don't like the way office files are now stored because they are a compressed structure of folders, XML files and non-XML files (such as pictures, fonts,...) and, for me, there should only be an XML file. So why ? XML should always have the purpose of representing a complete and coherent set of data, easy to store or exchange but binary data have to be included. When big binary data are directly included in XML documents using CDATA, a huge amount of memory is used to load them (it's time consuming) and it might be useless. The zip format has some advantages : no need to load all the inner files everytime, you can pick the file you want or you can add another one without loading any others. Can this be done with XML 1.0 (partial loading/saving) ????

XML is nothing but a (marvelous) notation... It can be used for anything because it is a structured notation but we need other good recommendations before beeing trapped with complementary uses of proprietary formats.

Alain COUTHURES
<agenceXML>
http://www.agencexml.com

Michael Kay a écrit :
012f01c87741$526f8900$6401a8c0@turtle" type="cite">
Yes, but how do you ever know the document is complete and
not truncated?

My log file never is complete. That doesn't stop me wanting to read it.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/