RE: [xml-dev] What is the "market share" of Relax NG vs XSD schema ?

> Why is Relax NG not becoming popular?
> Looking at its properties and advantages over XSD it should
> become the one and only schema defintion language

It's an old story. Why did the Dvorak keyboard not become popular? Why
aren't we all using Macs? Why do we use ludicrously insecure email protocols
that flood the world with spam, when we could have adopted X.400? Technical
quality was never enough to ensure success; the world will not beat a path
to your door just because you have a better mousetrap.

When it comes to standards adoption, most people will not adopt X unless
they believe that everyone else will adopt X. So success depends on having a
convincing endorsement from organizations that have the reputation to either
predict the future or create it. Relax NG has never had that endorsement.
(And indeed, ISO doesn't have that reputation.)

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/