Re: [xml-dev] What is the "market share" of Relax NG vs XSD schema ?

> So success depends on having a
> convincing endorsement from organizations that have the reputation to either
> predict the future or create it. Relax NG has never had that endorsement.
> (And indeed, ISO doesn't have that reputation.)

I believe that no standardization organizations gurantee
the success or wide adoption of their standards.  Is everything
in the lists of standards successful?  Look at http://www.w3.org/TR/ and
http://www.ietf.org/iesg/1rfc_index.txt and draw your own conclusion.
At some point in history, thanks to the success of XML, people
thought W3C is almighty, but it is apparently not.

Why do both ODF and OOXML need endorsements of ISO/IEC?   Note
that ODF uses RELAX NG while OOXML use both W3C XML Schema (normatively)
and RELAX NG (non-normatively).

It is true that there are more implementations of W3C XML Schema
than those of RELAX NG.  It is also true that there are more
corporate users of W3C XML Schema than those of RELAX NG.  However,
there are good commertical implementations of RELAX NG and
happy corporate users of RELAX NG.  Google "RELAX NG" and "XSLT2"
and compare the number of replies.

Cheers,

--
MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) <EB2M-MRT@asahi-net.or.jp>