Re: [xml-dev] Tab order in html/XHTML

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 2:19 PM, Robert Koberg <rob@koberg.com> wrote:

>> Does anyone know if there is anywhere in a specification document the
>> tab order of elements in a HTML/XHTML page (supposing DOM of page
>> after all JavaScript added page content).
>
> First, I assume you mean input, select and anchor elements, right?

Well I meant basically all things that you can tab to and then
interact with once you've tabbed to them, so I guess input select and
anchor are the most likely.

> This will work differently in different browsers when you are assembly
> the page with JS. For example, say you have bound to an onchange event
> of some input. If the value of the input is 'x' then display some new
> inputs after the input. So a tab from the input with the changed value
> of 'x' should put you at the first of newly displayed inputs.

yes, but luckily for the project I just need to be able to analyze the
tab order of the page at loading.
This is basically to provide an analyzer for a hotkeys functionality I
made before that on a particular page allows you to define that key
combination x+y followed by 1 results in sending 10 tabs, 2 spaces,
and an enter.
Given this functionality it is nice to be able to analyze exactly what
number of tabs will lead you to a particular place in the page order.

> Is that what you mean?
basically, but I don't really have to worry, in the first phase at any
rate, about interacting with pages if they've been altered after

Cheers,
Bryan Rasmussen