RE: [xml-dev] Is "markup" a noun or a verb? Do you "markup data" or "wrap data in tags"?

I don't use "markup" as a verb, only "mark up".

There are quite a few open verb+preposition "phrasal verbs" in
English, but I'm failing to come up with ones where the preposition
gets incorporated right onto the verb.

Nouns, however, can close up freely.

"look up the word" = "look the word up"
"this lookup took 5 seconds"
but not "lookup the word"

"look up the hill"
"look the hill up" (though with a different meaning)
but not "lookup the hill"

"mark up the article"
"mark the article up"
but not: "markup the article"

Scanning /usr/share/dict/words for /up$/  I find:

backup blowup breakup buildup catchup (shouldn't that be 'ketchup'?)
checkup cleanup cockup cutup getup grownup holdup hookup knockup
letup lockup markup pickup roundup setup showup smashup straightup
sunup tiltup tipup turnup

None of those sound like decent verbs to me, though most seem fine as
nouns. Most can be verbs *if* you put in the space.

I'm not going to check all the prepositions just now, but a quick
look at words ending in "down" and "over" suggest they behave the
same way.

So, if "markup" as a verb is ok, it breaks a pattern shown by an
awful lot of other words.

Steve "reviving ancient linguistics neurons" DeRose