len

From: Jim Melton [mailto:jim.melton@acm.org]

Maybe I'm showing my age, but I think that "markup" is a noun that
specifies additional "stuff" associated with text (or other source
material) to indicate how it is to be handled (e.g., formatted,
processed, analyzed), while "to mark up" is the verb that identifies
the process of adding markup to text (et al).

Using my definitions, Roger's item 1 would be my preferred
terminology, while 6 and 7 are distant seconds.  While 2, 4, and
maybe even 3 are more or less accurate, they are very specific to
this (XML/HTML) specific kind of markup.  And 5 just sounds wrong to
my ears, but it's arguably no worse than 2, 3, and 4.

Just one opinion,
    Jim