Re: [xml-dev] Feasibility of "do all application coding in the XML languages"?

> Second, on the specific case of XSLT, XSLT is very often used when there is
> XML-in and XML-out (or HTML out of course).  Where that is not the case,
> XSLT loses a lot of its perceived value.

The most popular download on my site is the csv-to-xml transform which
is of course csv in, xml out... and xslt 2.0 is ideal for that task.
XSLT still has plenty of value when xml is involved at one end (when
it's not involved at all, then you might have trouble convincing
people its the right choice, but the other popular page is the Sudoku
solver which is string in, string out)

The definition of an "xml language" in this thread seems to vary
between languages that use xml syntax and languages that operate on
xml - if you are just talking about xml syntax then you can invent any
language you like that does anything and give it an xml syntax... if
it actually operates on xml that's a bit different.

Something to consider is Scala, which contains an xml type:

http://www.scala-lang.org/node/131

...so you have both a general purpose language with an inbuilt xml
processing ability.

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com