RE: [xml-dev] Feasibility of "do all application coding in the XML languages"?

While it requires lower-level programming, XSLT can be used on
non-XML , non-text inputs.  I wanted to get GIS programmers interested
in XSLT, and they all seem to hate XML.  So I wrote a parser for
an industry-standard binary file format called "shapefile", allowing
XSLT (saxon in my case) programmers to directly operate on the
format.

I am working on a serializer that will allow XSLT programs to
output the result as shapefiles, hopefully that will get a few people
started.

I think there's  a lot of value in such interfaces.  It would be nice
if it didn't involve having to write a parser each time, but the cost
is not too high, I think

Cheers,
Peter Rushforth