Re: [xml-dev] Feasibility of "do all application coding in the XMLlanguages"?

Mukul Gandhi wrote:
> Hi Roger,
>    There are many software applications, which need imperative
> programming infrastructure (where we should be able to change program
> state at will, like using assignment statement as so on).
>
> Examples of such applications could be,
> 1. Complex business logic (say I am implementing a work flow for an
> insurance company)
> 2. Game programming :)
> 3. GUI programming
>
> and so on.
>
> To my opinion, none of the above tasks can be done (or easily done) in
> XML based languages.
Two comments.

First, the either/or dichotomy of XML language versus non-XML language
is false. Very often there is in an incremental move towards XML in
order to allow refactoring and simplification of programming language code.

 For example, for business XBRL (and I know Schematron is used in places
too) gives richer data to simplify application programming, for game
programming World of Warcraft's XML user interface reduces what the
programming language does but still needs Lua, and SwiXML (Swing in XML)
reduces the workload of Java but still needs it. More stuff gets
specified declaratively rather than procedurally.

Second, on the specific case of XSLT, XSLT is very often used when there
is XML-in and XML-out (or HTML out of course).  Where that is not the
case, XSLT loses a lot of its perceived value.  So the more that the
first trend (towards declarative refactoring) occurs, the more
situations exist where XSLT can slot in effectively.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe