Re: [xml-dev] Feasibility of "do all application coding in the XMLlanguages"?

Rushforth, Peter wrote:
> I think there's  a lot of value in such interfaces.  It would be nice
> if it didn't involve having to write a parser each time, but the cost
> is not too high, I think

Yes. XML standards and tools took a gigantic step backwards in that
regard, and have never recovered or tried to take that use case
seriously. The explosion in new uses allows us to treat that kind of use
as niche or external, rather than intrinsic.

In the SGML days, the world for system integration was pretty much
divided into

  1) Those who used SGMLS/SP.  People who required free tools, and had
SGML data.

  2) Those who used Perl. People who required free tools, and had
non-SGML data they wanted hack like it was SGML (often then morphing
into the first type)

  3) Those who used OmniMark. This was people who could pay for a tool.

The thing about OmniMark was that it had a built-in text processor, so
that non-SGML files could be marked up to spec on demand.

Furthermore, the input processing, the parsing and the output processing
was implemented using co-routines, so it was possible to process the
input differently depending on the currently generated element context.
This overcame a problem that affects systems based on piping the output
of a text-to-markup process into a markup-transformation process, that
for any kind of complex input you may need to have grammar-dependent
input processing: In the case of OmniMark, the unminimized markup could
be used to guide processing both the input and the output; in a pipeline
solution you would need to specify the grammar for the text-to-markup
converter explicitly, which could be double handling.

In the early days of XML, some of the early proponents were very keen
that it should be a universal format, and therefore up-translations
(text to XML) were regarded as unsound  and wrong-headed. IMHO when this
goes beyond expert opinion shaping the direction of a technology to
experts denying the use cases of a population, it goes beyond expertise
and starts to smack of arrogance (I have the same opinion about binary
Efficient XML Interchange: I don't like it, I am not convinced, I
couldn't be bothered to help, but if they think they have a use case who
the hell am I to tell them otherwise or campaign against their spec or
block it on some committee?)

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe