Re: [xml-dev] Feasibility of "do all application coding in the XMLlanguages"?

Kurt,

In my Flower project (temporarily off-line but it'll be back)
I explored a "third way" relative to what you are talking
about.

XQuery and XSLT should remain purely functional (aka
declarative).

Non-standard "extension functions" should be avoided
almost always, for at the very least the break portability.
Commonly, extension functions are poorly designed in that
they sneak in non-declarative, sequencing semantics.

Pipelines (e.g. XProc) aren't flexible enough regarding
side effects and flow of control.   For example,
in most pipeline systems, you can't do recursion.

Instead, I invented a kind of "I/O monad" for running
XQuery and XSLT scripts in a kind of continuation passing
style.   A computation (say, in XQuery) returns a
list of side-effecting operations to perform plus a
continuation.  The continuation is itself a second
XQuery script.   The monad performs the side-effecting
operations, packages up the results as XML Datums,
and invokes the continuation.   Repeat in a loop
until eventually a "null" continuation is returned.

If you want to add, say, an FFT function -- don't
bind it into XQuery as an extension function (thereby
dragging in hundreds of thousands of lines of code
including a complete graph-tracing GC where less than
10K lines of code are needed).  Rather, package the
FFT in a web service API:  the I/O Monad calls out to
it and then resumes XQuerying.   The FFT engine
can be same-process or could be remote -- only performance
will differ.

It's then desirable to create syntactic abstraction
mechanisms over XQuery....

-t