Re: [xml-dev] Converting Excel Table to XML document

Tony,

If your spreadsheet is from Excel 95, 97, 2000, XP, and 2003, try JExcelAPI.
It's a pure Java library which can read Excel format natively. They have a
demo program which outputs XML.

See http://www.andykhan.com/jexcelapi/tutorial.html#demo+programs

java -jar jxl.jar -xml -format spreadsheet.xls

--
Nicholas Sushkin, Senior Software Engineer
http://www.openfinance.com http://www.wealthinformationexchange.com

On Saturday 27 December 2008 18:10, Anthony B. Coates (XML-Dev) wrote:

> Interesting.  That definitely *didn't* work for me, because I found that
> the OpenOffice XML format doesn't always have the same number of columns
> in each row, which makes it hard to process.  I'm sure there is some good
> reason for that, do save space, but I couldn't work out what the rules
> were, and how to predict when a column would be missing in a row.
>
> When that happens, the dumbed-down HTML approach (or the CSV approach)
> can be easier.
>
> Cheers, Tony.
>
> On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 15:42:55 -0000, Dave Pawson <davep@dpawson.co.uk>
>
> wrote:
> > Anthony B. Coates (XML-Dev) wrote:
> >> What I've found easiest is to export an Excel sheet as HTML, run that
> >> through a "tidy" program to convert it into XHTML, then process the
> >> XHTML with XSLT (or your XML processing tool of choice).
> >
> > I got better results using excel -> Open Office, then
> > process the xml using XSLT.

smime.p7s