Re: [xml-dev] Here's why it's not always a good idea to embed validationinformation (e.g., schemaLocation) in instance documents

> Your presentation looks good, but I'm not sure it goes far enough. Was
> there ever a good reason to embed validation information in an instance
> document? Isn't that fundamentally backwards, like trusting a thief
> because /he says/ he's not a thief?

Sometimes you might have reason to trust the sender. Or the implications
of getting it wrong if you do trust him may not matter.  Or the cost of
doing out of band configuration may exceed the costs of getting the trust
wrong.  For example, if you are building generic XML stuff (like, say an
appliance :).

We support schemaLocation.  But we also have a configuration operation
that passes the URL's through a set of rewrite rules so that, e.g., you
can rewrite remote schema to a local version that you trust.

        /r$

--
Visiting Member, IBM Academy
STSM, DataPower Chief Programmer