RE: [xml-dev] What makes a data component good for standardizing?

Awesome message Bruce! Thank you.

There is so much information packed into your short message. I'd like to focus today on one part. I'd like to verify that I have a correct understanding of the "unanticipated user."

What is the "unanticipated user?"

EXAMPLE

Suppose you deploy a web service to provide currency exchange rates - a user sends two currencies (e.g., USD and CAN) and your web service responds with their exchange rates (1 USD = 1.23 CAN, 1 CAN = 0.90 USD).

The "unanticipated user" means the users of your web service may be unknown to you. It does not mean that requests made by users are unknown or arbitrary. For example, your web service can't be expected to handle requests from a user wanting metric-to-English conversion rates. Rather, your service only handles requests for currency exchange rates, and the users issuing the requests may be unknown.

"Design your system to support the unanticipated user."

I think this is misleading. It should be:

"Design your system to support the anticipated but as yet unknown user."

Do I have a correct understanding of the meaning of the "unanticipated user?"

If so, I now understand why my example of the nuclear physicist unexpectedly sending me a document on subatomic physics and expecting me to process it, or pieces of it, is not a reasonable expectation. Right?

/Roger