RE: [xml-dev] What makes a data component good for standardizing?

I think standardizing is not a new issue which came with computing, it has been a problem in other sciences as well, so let us take examples from (a lot) older sciences which succeeded in standardizing.

If you take physics for example, it is now an international language. Standardization of physics begins by locating points in the space. That is done by providing a space reference, which is an origin and axes (3 or 4, depending on your understanding of Einstein :-) ). Once you did that, you must be able to uniquely locate any point.

So I think that "what makes a data component good for standardizing", even from an "unanticipated user", is that you are able to provide a reference(origin and axes) strong enough to uniquely define any data.
In the field of computing science, that means you published such a reference. As soon as you did that, I do not see any problem with your standardization, last point (and most difficult) is to convince other people to use it :-) !

Nicolas
http://debeissat.nicolas.free.fr/