RE: [xml-dev] Validate **against** a schema OR validate **with** a schema?

At 2009-01-22 17:53 -0600, Len wrote:
>Augmentation (defaulting from the DTD) tightly binds DTDs to instances.

True, that is one aspect of augmentation, but I wasn't referring to
that aspect.

At 2009-01-22 22:14 +0900, I wrote:
>At 2009-01-22 07:26 -0500, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
>>2. I validated the XML instance document with the schema.
>
>... when I'm using validation to augment my XML with type
>information from the schema on my way in to my stylesheet or application.

I specifically and carefully referred to the type information ...
this is so that the PSVI can be processed by my stylesheet, not the text.

If I've written a schema-aware stylesheet that needs to respond to
the supplied type of a UBL extension element under the extension
point then I need to augment my source tree with type information by
validating my document with a schema.  Otherwise I may have
difficulty recognizing the extension.

At 2009-01-22 17:53 -0600, Len wrote:
>I think there is healthy consensus tight binding of DTDs to
>instances is a bad idea.

I totally agree.  And the same goes for any defaulted content as W3C
Schema offers more kinds of defaulted content than DTDs.

I hope this helps.

--
Upcoming XSLT/XSL-FO, UBL and code list hands-on training classes:
:  Sydney, AU 2009-01/02; Brussels, BE 2009-03; Prague, CZ 2009-03