RE: [xml-dev]Changing Namespaces Between Specification Versions

<snip>

> The decision was made (a) to add a version attribute to the root
> element, and
> (b) not to change the namespace URI (which was already unversioned).
> Did the
> maintainers of EgXML make the right choice?

I used to like adding version numbers to root elements, but I find that more and more of my work involves content from multiple namespaces. Then this no longer really works unless you start to complicate things. Generally, I now add version numbers to the file names of schema documents and don't version the namespace (e.g. http://example.com/schemas/schema-v1-0.xsd). Putting version or date information elsewhere in the URL of the schema document is another way that is used quite commonly (e.g. http://example.com/schemas/2009/04/23/schema.xsd).

Paul Spencer