Re: [xml-dev] XML support in browsers?

If HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and the DOM, are the technologies which describe the Web community, then it is quite close to XML community ! HTML is a kind of XML, the DOM is a way to manage XML, CSS expressions are quite close to XPath, and it is just a way to change the "style" attribute of the XML nodes.

Concerning Javascript, if you want to make lots of data management, only using getElementsByTagName... you will code 10 000 lines of codes before achieving what XSLT does in 50 lines ! Or you will have to use XPath which is a part of XSLT in my mind.

I also saw developers who do not even want to look at a markup, but then you have to rebuild the whole Web ! I am very happy with XSLT. That is what represents a "business" language for me, meaning that it cares about all technical parts for you (multi-language, error management), only letting you decide what you want to do with the data. For sure, first steps are difficult, but there are lots of other functional languages which have proven their efficiency, it is always useful to learn at least one of them, to get the
"paradigm".

Regards
Nico
http://debeissat.nicolas.free.fr