Re: [xml-dev] XML support in browsers?

On Mon, Jun 08, 2009 at 11:00:29AM -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> By "Web community" I mean the people for whom the Web is their first
> (and often exclusive) development target.  Its borders are complex, but
>  if you want a reasonable guideline, I'd point to the set of
> technologies   on which the Web Standards Project focuses:

In general, if you define a social construct in terms of technologies,
you're going to become obsolete...

The Web is the set of things that we can name with a URI... not
the set of things any particular Web browser can view, nor the
current set of popular scripting or styling mechanisms.  Ten
years ago, "font" and "size" elements (or "tags" more properly,
in fact, as they didn't need to balance) were used for styling
on the Web, but even though the predominant styling mechanism
has changed, we still call it the Web.

I don't actually believe there's a single "Web community" but
rather an awful lot of communities who use the Web alongside
one another.  Nor does there have to be a single set of
technologies used by everyone.  The needs of the many do not
in fact outweigh the needs of the few.

If we had native XSL-FO support in browsers we'd for sure want
the client-side XSLT...

Best,

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/ * http://www.fromoldbooks.org/