Re: [xml-dev] Including XHTML into another DTD?

> I tried looking at how MathML is included in XHTML but trying to sort
> it out is a bit painful. Also they combined all the DTDs and entities
> together as one file/DTD with namespaces; what I want to do is
> reference in the XHTML DTD into mine

actually the mathml dtd is written as a separate entity and the expanded
one-file xhtml+mathml dtd is just the result of passing an xml parser
over the driver file which includes xhtml and mathml dtd which then
epands the inclusiions inline.
The driver file is just the following:

<!ENTITY % driver SYSTEM "xhtml-math-svg.dtd">
<--<!ENTITY % plane1D "&amp;#38;#38;#xE">-->
<!ENTITY % SVG.module    "IGNORE" >
<!ENTITY % MATHML.pref.prefixed "INCLUDE" >
<!ENTITY % MATHML.sysid.base "" >
%driver;
<!ATTLIST %a.qname; target CDATA #IMPLIED>
<!ATTLIST %html.qname;
          %Schema.xmlns.attrib;
          %att-schemalocation;>

There are some notes on this (a bit old) at

http://www.w3.org/Math/characters/
and
http://www.w3.org/Math/dtd

> In addition to controlling where the XHTML elements can be placed I'm
> also trying to not have to prefix the html elements in my XML file.

The xhtml and mathml dtd follow the xhtml modularisation guidelines
which means that while you can't arbitrarily mix prefixes you can easily
set a parameter entity to specify a prefix for xhtml and/or
mathml.

If you want all xhtml elements to be prefixed by h then (in a driver
file or local subset) just define

<!ENTITY % XHTML.prefixed       "INCLUDE" >
<!ENTITY % XHTML.prefix  "h" >

David