Re: [xml-dev] XHTML 2 Working Group won't be renewed?

Michael Kay schrieb:
>> So who's aware of the obscure namespace issue should be aware of the
>> DTD feature of supplementing the document with default values. It's
>> like assuming as a given a child's ability to ride a bicycle but not
>> assuming it can walk.
>
> I disagree. It's possible to have a DTD ignored

With an explicit <?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>.

Or by telling it to ignore the DTD by doing setLoadExternalDTD(false).

> or substituted by a different DTD by invoking the parser in a
> different way. That shouldn't cause names to be in a different
> namespace, but it does.

But then, what about parser.setDoNamespaces(false) ?

> We often see problems where people show us an XML instance and an
> XPath expression that fails to find elements in the instance, and it
> turns out that there's a sneaky namespace declaration in the DTD

I'd rather call it unobtrusive (but I'm not 100 % sure this is still
bona fide).

After some testing, I think I'd rather concede that setting the
namespace via the DTD is not necessarily to be universally recommended
as parsers vary considerably as to their default settings, and I admit
I've had problems because I didn't configure the parser appropriately.

Michael Ludwig