Re: [xml-dev] Pragmatic namespaces

Original Message From: rjelliffe

> Surely any notation that uses "." is a non-starter for use in HTML, since
> it already has a meaning in CSS (i.e. @class)?
>
> It seems to me that people perhaps are trying to solve the wrong problem:
> the right problem being having a namespaces-like mechanism that the HTML
> working group would be happy with.

Assuming CSS only affects the rendering of HTML elements, that's another
reason for having the local name part trivially separable from the namespace
part of the name, such as via a :.  e.g.

body:html.w3.org

(the colon is hard to see in my mail UA.  It would be easier to see in a
fixed width code editor.  Just in case its hard to see on your UA, that's:

body {colon} html {dot} w3 {dot} org )

The HTML/CSS mapping then only needs to consider the local name part.

Pete Cordell