Re: [xml-dev] My proposal: Implicit namespaces

On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 10:39:38PM +0200, Michael Ludwig wrote:
> Liam Quin schrieb am 06.08.2009 um 11:11:09 (-0400):
> > You only need to list those elements that can occur embedded in
> > another vocabulary, plus the top-level element.  For example, a list
> > item might not make sense without a containing list.
>
> But then again, it might:
>
> <xsl:template match="Liste">
>   <list><xsl:apply-templates select="Artikel"/></list>
> </xsl:apply-templates>

Yes, XSLT is a really good example of richly mixed namespaces.
The best nswer I have there is probably that I'm not proposing
to remove the current namespace syntax!

> This particular example doesn't matter much, but with XSLT used to
> generate XML, it is questionable to preclude any element from appearing
> embedded in another vocabulary.

I don't mean to preclude it.

> > So, a docbook list would automatically introduce the docbook namespace
> > for all the elements it contained (until you got down to ones that
> > implied some other namespace, such as "svg" perhaps).
>
> Voil? the concept of scope reintroduced, isn't it? It's just that
> now the current namespace is not signalled by a prefix attached to
> a declaration, but by the last namespace-scope-setting element.

"last" here means nearest ancestor, like xml:lang and xml:base.

> In streaming mode, you wouldn't know what namespace you're in unless you
> swim back up the river to find a namespace-scope-setting ancestor.
You have to keep track of your parents in any case.  And the
existing namespace mechanism works this way too.

Best,

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/ * http://www.fromoldbooks.org/