Re: [xml-dev] Yahoo! Tech article on injunction against MS Word

Well said, Michael, but I don't believe that MS will end up paying any
ransom to I4I. Ultimately, MS will win on appeal, and the only people
who will gain, here, will be the lawyers and the expert witnesses. (And
to my way of thinking, even the lawyers will also lose, because in the
end they will have spent their irrecoverable time on this nonsense.)

Western intellectual property laws engender rent-seeking behaviors which
in turn require the existence of a major highly technical industry that
produces nothing and taxes everyone else's productivity in myriad ways.
It's a multifaceted example of a "tragedy of the commons" -- the commons
in this case being the publicly-financed resources required to uphold
laws based on the absurd notion that the public interest is served by
making technical know-how a private asset. People die every day because
of this absurdity. "Draining the lifeblood" is no mere metaphor.