Re: [xml-dev] Balancing Open Access, Transparency & Accountability| Identity Management 2009 Conference

Michael Kay wrote:
>> With regards to your remark, "From now on any communication
>> from you or your organisation will be treated as being in the
>> public domain", however, I'm afraid I must take strong exception.
>
> I've no idea what this is all about, but I believe the law is that private
> correspondence remains the copyright of the originator, and you have no
> right to publish it. Saying in advance that you intend to breach someone's
> copyright does not make doing so legal.

Insisting that conversation about an event about "Open Access,
Transparency, and Accountability" be kept private is perverse at best,
whatever the legality.

These kinds of breaches of copyright, it should be noted, are not crimes
in themselves, though they can invite a civil lawsuit [1].  The
generally prevailing rules on such matters are not law, but etiquette.

As for OASIS' threat to boot people from the list because they don't
like a particular interaction with their organization, I'm afraid that's
a situation we've worried about for almost as long as the list has been
at OASIS.  I'd strongly suggest to OASIS that they think about the
implications before leaping to such a step, however quickly they may
have leapt to citing their own list guidelines to justify it.

And in this case - thank you, John.

--
Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com/