RE: [xml-dev] Balancing Open Access, Transparency & Accountability| Identity Management 2009 Conference

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 09:00:19 +0100, Michael Kay wrote:
>> With regards to your remark, "From now on any communication
>> from you or your organisation will be treated as being in the
>> public domain", however, I'm afraid I must take strong exception.
> I've no idea what this is all about, but I believe the law is that private
> correspondence remains the copyright of the originator, and you have no
> right to publish it. Saying in advance that you intend to breach someone's
> copyright does not make doing so legal.

In fact, in the United States, at least, the legal position of
correspondence is a good deal more murky (not surprisingly, once you
think about it).  How far the rules apply to electronic correspondence
is not entirely clear (there are other factors involved there).  For
physical correspondence, while the author may be said to hold a
copyright, it is also perfectly clear that by sending (and sending
through the mail), the recipient holds the right to the document
received--including republication.  This has been relatively
well-established for historians, for example, who have an impudent
curiosity about other people's correspondence, and for publishers, who
need the permission of the recipient more than the permission of the
author.  Now, to an extent this is predicated on the existence of a
physical artifact, which does not exist for electronic correspondence,
but it is the tradition.

If you don't want someone to republish your private correspondence to
them, then don't send it.

Publishing correspondence of which you are neither the originator nor
the recipient is a somewhat different kettle of fish.  John's response
would certainly have been perfectly valid for a physical letter
(assuming no gag orders or NDAs); the OASIS response seems more apt for
the case of treating OASIS as a third party lacking permission from
either correspondent.

Amy!
(based on some fifteen-years gone training in document handling for
historians)
--
Amelia A. Lewis                    amyzing {at} talsever.com
I don't know that I ever wanted greatness, on its own.  It seems rather