Re: [xml-dev] Serialization of XDM

I'm not going to enter into a JSON war.  Your example only works if you
know the meanings of "p" , "links" and "b".
Encoding *arbitrary XML* losslessly in JSON is not nearly so simple or
clean.   There is *not* a single existing accepted convention on how to
do it.
There's lots of articles claiming to have defined such a transformation
but they are all different and solve various aspects of the problem
while ignoring others.
But I'm not going to argue that.

As for use cases,  the use cases of interest to *me* is transporting XDM
from XML processes and tools to other XML processes and tools,
not how to get XDM into Javascript.   Adding JSON to this mix adds more
problems then it solves, IMHO.

I agree that use cases are *opinions*, they are not axiomatic.   I think
I will take Michael's advise and start to document some use cases that I
have in mind more formally and come back at a later date to this list
with a strawman.

David A. Lee
dlee@calldei.com
http://www.calldei.com