Re: [xml-dev] XML spec and XSD

On 2009-11-15, at 8:01 AM, Mukul Gandhi wrote:

> Tim Bray wrote earlier in this thread:
> Mention of DTD into XML 1.0 spec, was historic accident. I think, Tim
> was quite modest to support my view point. But I think, he recognizes
> some truth with this textual flaw in the spec, in the current
> scenario.

The textual flaw isn't that it doesn't mention XSD or RNG, the textual flaw is that it mentions *any* schema language.   A very high proportion of real-world XML processing is entirely free of anything schema-related.  The vast majority of the XML value proposition is delivered by schema-free well-formed XML.  Even in those apps that use a schema in their specification, the vast majority of run-time processing is schema-free.  One of the costliest common mistakes of XML app/language designers is putting too much importance on schemas.  The XML specification shouldn't be encouraging that mistake.

My own vision of what XML.next ought to look like may be found at http://www.textuality.com/xml/xmlSW.html

 -Tim