Re: [xml-dev] XML spec and XSD

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 4:26 AM, Jim Tivy <jimt@bluestream.com> wrote:
> Hearing this is truly music to my ears. The implication being that the XML
> spec would not even have to talk about "valid" or "validity" - thus we would
> not have to deal with this matter if inclusivity with respect to schema
> languages in the XML spec.

I think, removing references like "valid" or "validity" from XML spec
is a good idea. I think, this makes good distinct architectural
layerings like pure XML markup and document validity.

It seems, that most people argue that a conformant XML document has
ability to refer to user defined entities, and this can be specified
only in a DTD. I think, the current XML spec, makes DTDs an
inseparable part of XML spec is, because of the DTDs ability to
specify user defined entities, which (the entities) are part of say
the, XML 1.0 (and 1.1) spec.

To change the XML spec, to remove the concept of valid/validity and
being able to remove DTD s from the XML spec, I think will also
require us to remove the concepts of entities from the XML spec (I
think, something like a future XML 2.0 spec should only specify the
built in entities like & amp; etc and not allow users to specify user
defined entities, unless they use an external thing like DTD or a
future XSD (a 1.2 version, which may allow users to specify entities,
via some global declaration perhaps)).

--
Regards,
Mukul Gandhi