Re: [xml-dev] element markup in attributes

Michael Kay wrote:
>> What do folks think?  Is this reasonable, given the use case,
>> or is this pushing too hard on attributes and escaping?
>
> A number of people have commented on the aesthetics, and I agree with them
> entirely.
>
> However, there is also a technical argument: XSLT, XQuery, and any other
> processing engine that takes an XML-centric view of the world, will be quite
> incapable of generating this stuff.

I'm afraid XML-centric views of the world have little traction with the
creators of HTML5.  Remember, HTML5 preferred to define its own syntax:

http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/syntax.html#parsing

"While the HTML syntax described in this specification bears a close
resemblance to SGML and XML, it is a separate language with its own
parsing rules."

It does support an XHTML syntax:

http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/the-xhtml-syntax.html#the-xhtml-syntax

HTML5 is still, of course, markup, which is why I asked about this
particular construct here.

--
Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com/