Re: [xml-dev] xml + style.

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 10:02:36 -0400
David <dlee@calldei.com> wrote:

Big snip, mostly agree with it David.

> I really do feel sorry for the author of the blog posting about
> Legislation.  In that case your dealing with centuries old practices
> of a particular format of written (presentation) documents and
> workflows. And the participants don't want that changed.

> The same thing happens in the Medical field.

> There are generations of practice of using written records and they
> work very well for the individual practitioners.

I.e. another use case, slightly different twist.
I've started to look at how the markup(styling) is added but initially
I am looking for any prior work on mixing semantics and style?

For the sake of  argument, lets say the author and xml geek
sit down together and the author generates plain text, the geek
styles it via markup *selected by the author*, if she understands
tha italics means a medicine, fine. Then we have something like
<medicine s:use-attribute-sets='italics'>Asprin</medicine>
I'm choosing xsl-fo syntax for want of anything better.

The debate over getting authors to use semantic markup is (IMHO)
a separable debate (and applies here just as well).

regards

--

regards

--