Re: [xml-dev] My report on experiments with unused namespaces

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 17:49:39 +0100, David Carlisle wrote:
> It is well formed. (and parsed as such by any xml parser I've tried).

YAY!  Outbreak of sanity on xml-dev.  News at eleven.

> That's why they are reserved so that w3c can define specifications
> using such names and existing software will parse them.

Yes.  This is also why pre-namespace validating XML parsers based on
DTD do not treat names containing colon (which were "reserved" until
namespaces in xml defined the meaning) as invalid (much less as
ill-formed).

> It is much harder to introduce new syntax that makes previously non
> wellformed xml well formed as that requires changing the installed
> base.

Ah.  Very well stated.  Thank you, David.

It seems to me that "Reserved" and "Deprecated" have rather similar
semantics, so far as that goes.  "Reserved" means: in the future, this
may have well-defined semantics which don't mean what you hope it will
mean.  Deprecated: you keep using that construction, but I do not think
it means what you think it means.

Amy!
--
Amelia A. Lewis                    amyzing {at} talsever.com
I know you don't want either to give or to take.  You've tried being