Re: [xml-dev] Does the W3C allow "reference implementations"?

The problem with reference implementations is well-illustrated by the
history of JAXP (specifically the transformation and XPath parts). This
interface has always been very poorly specified. There is a long history
of changes being made to the JAXP specification to align it with the
Xalan implementation. In some cases, this has amounted to little more
than documenting Xalan bugs as part of the specification. For those who
provide alternative implementations, like myself, this means constant
chasing of a moving spec (or in some cases, a decision not to remain
bug-compatible). For users, it creates confusion as to what
interoperability they can expect - can they expect, for example, that
when Xalan reports a particular error to the fatalError() callback on
the ErrorListener, then Saxon will do the same, even though there is
nothing in the written specification that says it must?

Michael Kay
Saxonica