Re: [xml-dev] Re: {Loony speculation?} Re: [xml-dev] Does the W3Callow "reference implementations"?

This is a very thoughtful series of comments from Rick.

I'm just going to highlight from one quote

Well, the ISO/IEC view of a standard is certainly that it is primarily an "agreement."
This clearly resonates with some (me) more than others. In contrast, one of the most extreme views
(and repellent) I have read about standards was a US corporate representative who wrote
that standards are about "picking winners": spot the triumphalist worldview there!

the obvious. That people have different roles in relation to these issues. Picking winners is important to everyone from the mundane, these are the standards (and associated projects) that gain traction and visibility to the inevitable, there is power (access to resources) being brokered here.
Rick has stepped back and brought in the possibility of cultural influence on how various parties go about their business.
However, I would have thought that the prevalent and fundamental influence would be the legal conditions for business. These vary from place to place and whether the context is local, by-party or international.
I should think that other factors, such as the standing of academic institutions within a country or the standing of WWW or any other standards board would be secondary to this because specs are rules that are taken up in implementations, reference or not.

(Funnily enough, I just had to break off writing this while we discussed an in house reference implementation. A discussion of detail not intent, though.)

Best,

Adam