Re: [xml-dev] Where is XML going

This has been a fascinating discussion, but here's my two cents worth.

I think that one of the more significant ramifications of the AJAX movement is that it has caused a fairly radical change in the relationship between the server and the client. Pre-ajax, the server's primary domain was the serving up of the presentation layer to the client. Post-ajax, the server's role has been increasingly to provide data for components on the client to consume. Certainly presentation content is still the overwhelming majority of content, but if present trends continue, it is likely that within the next decade the bulk of the traffic on the web will not in fact be presentation layer but rather data as a service, with a much thinner substrate of user interfaces. Moreover, I think that as RESTful architectures (and dynamic RESTful services themselves) become more widespread, one consequence of this is that it will be the consumer of the data (or rather that consumer's client software) that will ultimately determine the best form to present that data in.

Kurt Cagle
XML Architect
Lockheed / US National Archives ERA Project