Re: [xml-dev] Where is XML going

On 12/5/10 2:47 PM, Rob Koberg wrote:
>  From all of the suggestions, I find myself asking why would anyone
> change from JSON/JS to XML2/something? How would you convince the
> browser vendors to accomodate  some new version of XML? Why is any of
> this attractive to web devs? (if that is still the focus derived from
> the James Clark blog post)
>
> How do you get around cross domain security which includes different
> virtual hosts on the same domain and http schemes (http and https)?
> And you still need javascript to drive the transformations with
> anything other than the processing instruction transform, unless that
> would somehow change.
>
> I would bet people outside the XML community would look at what has to
> change, weigh the benefits, and say meh.

I don't get to agree with Rob very often, but yes, exactly, 100%.

There might still be benefits to people already inside the XML
community, and I suspect that's why there are 80 messages on this list
over the weekend, but I wouldn't expect this to make for a great
evangelical crusade beyond the already-converted.

Thanks,
--
Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com/