Re: [xml-dev] Just nodes please

> Such a rule would make it impossible to have the behaviour common in
> many document formats (notably xhtml) that by default child elements
> are processed but unknown attributes are ignored.

Many formats allow open content for elements as well as attributes.
That's one thing namespaces are good for: process content in namespaces
you know about, ignore content in alien namespaces.

> That model is pervasive throughout XML, for instance in the
> string-value of XPath, the string value of your first example is ""
> the string value of your second is "\nnode3\n" so these can never be
> equal without completely rewriting XPath.

The XPath string value concept is designed for mixed content, and it
really doesn't work well for element-only content (which is why XPath
2.0 makes it an error to get the string value if the element has been
validated with element-only content). Perhaps what we really need is for
mixed content to be properly distinguished from structured content, as a
replacement for the current child-vs-attribute distinction.

Perhaps we should recognize that JSON does the structured content quite
nicely, and we need to blend in XML's ability to do mixed content.
Perhaps a format that extends JSON by putting XML-style markup in
strings, and extends XML markup by putting JSON in attribute values? At
the same time converging the JSON "string":value notation with XML's
name="value".

Michael Kay
Saxonica