Re: [xml-dev] element census tool?

On 2 February 2011 17:12, Simon St.Laurent <simonstl@simonstl.com> wrote:
> I know I could write this myself, but suspect someone else has already done
> a better job of it - and I just don't know the right Google keywords to
> summon it.
>
> I'm looking for a tool that I can feed an XML document, and it will tell me
> which element names were used in the document.
>
> Attributes used on those elements would be a bonus, as would a frequency
> count for usage, but mostly I'm just trying to survey a collection of
> (DocBook) documents quickly.
>
> All suggestions welcome.

A very minimalist xslt would be:

<xsl:stylesheet version="2.0"

<xsl:template match="/">
	<xsl:for-each-group select="//*, //@*" group-by="name()">
		<xsl:value-of select="current-grouping-key(), ' ',
count(current-group()), '&#xa;'"/>
	</xsl:for-each-group>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

That will list all elements and attributes with their counts.

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com