From: David Lee [mailto:dlee@calldei.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 9:29 AM
To: 'Michael Kay'; xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Graphical DTD/XSD Viewer

I agree with Michael.   Not only are they incomprehensible, but for all but the most trivial schemas you simply cannot see enough detail on a single page to make sense of it.

I find them more useful as an interactive outlining tool to help find places in the schema to look.

Here’s an example of a *very simple* schema and what the diagram looks like (This one is from Stylus Studio).

http://xml.calldei.com/JsonXML

here

http://xml.calldei.com/JsonXML/files.xml?action=download&file=jxml.jpg

I included this diagram as an experiment on the web page but honestly looking at it I can’t make much sense out of it even though I’ve used the tool for years.

Anything much more complex than this and even on a huge monitor its only slightly useful if you can focus in and drill down on parts, while collapsing others,.

David A. Lee

dlee@calldei.com

http://www.xmlsh.org