Re: [xml-dev] XML Redux

Original Message From: "John Cowan"

> Pete Cordell scripsit:
>
>> But is that level of semantics helpful to a computer?  I'm not sure that
>> knowing that something is 32 the number, rather than "32" the string
>> would help me much with all the semantic inferencing I can do as a human.
>>  I would have thought its even less useful to a computer!
>
> Au contraire, it tells you what object to store the value in, at least
> in statically typed languages.

My feeling is that when you work through the implementation of handling type
tagged values you'll still end up with a fairly generic kind of object and
you're not going to get floats mapped to language native float types etc.
For example, all the classes would likely have some common base class
interface and be created by some factory or other.

Pete Cordell
Codalogic Ltd
Interface XML to C++ the easy way using C++ XML
data binding to convert XSD schemas to C++ classes.
Visit http://codalogic.com/lmx/ or http://www.xml2cpp.com
for more info