Re: [xml-dev] Concerned about the increasing reliance on XPath

What would help would be another shorthand for "/*local-name()='foo'/...",
say something like "/{foo}/..." or some other parenthesis-based shorthand.

I remember how when pocket calculators came out there was the issue
of operator precedence. It was solved when they added brakets to the
key pad so you could make the precedence explicit (the implicit precedence
differed between calculators so the same calculation key-press sequence
was giving different results in different calculators). It's a bit
like that here.
Expecting people to know the default operator precedence for their
calculator before pressing keys would be unrealistic - and there the problem
was less severe than here, I think, because it was only more complex
calculation sequences where the problem was apparent; here it is simple
ones too.

----
Stephen D Green