Re: [xml-dev] Designing an experiment to gather evidence on approachesto designing web services

Roger--

You seem to be confusing "evidence" with something like "proof" (or, perhaps, "metrics"), and "anecdotes" with something like "oral testimony".   If, in your example, an international expert in building web services who'd built 15 systems exactly like the ones you described that had been successfully working for 10 years told you which design was better, would you dismiss that as simply "anecdotal"?  You might want more details of his/her rationale, and not necessarily consider that input totally determinative, but wouldn't it be reasonably considered "evidence".  Eyewitness testimony in court isn't exactly "anecdotal" (it's not a story, exactly), and is not always considered reliable, but it is considered "evidence".  If you're trying to be "scientific", be careful to define your terms.

--Frank