Re: [xml-dev] Engineering versus Science, Anecdote versus Evidence... [Was: Designing an experiment to gather evidence on approaches todesigning web services]

I  think a ferrari will not feel like a ferrari if all the internal
pieces are replaced by cheaper replacements from other car
manufacturer.  So you are right, and the people you are replying is
right too.  The experience of the user is affected by the code.

The last time I have heard talk about it was related to a videogame,
Minecraft,  programmed in java by a dude called Notch.  You can write
a exact clone now in C. Because now you have the spec. But a lot of
features of the original java game is product of the style of his
creator and the language.  The experience of Minecraft is different
than his clones, even if are feature complete clones.

Now,  Notch programming style is not very good.  He write very dirty
and confusing code, and I cand tell tails from head. But he is
exccellent prototiping, and often he stream himself creating a new
game in a single day. The features he add, and the freedom his game
allows are like a signature, so you feel his games are his games.

Sadly, I don't remember the study that analize this effect (style of
code having a big effect on the feel of a program), I think was done
in the MIT, maybe somebody from this mail list know it.