Re: [xml-dev] RE: Encoding charset of HTTP Basic Authentication

It's actually pretty useful as an insecure *identification* mechanism.
EG if you're operating inside a firewall and just want to give people a
mechanism to say who they are, allowing for the fact someone might
impersonate someone else, etc.  Not every authentication mechanism has
to be secure, just like not every door has to be locked - I mean do you
lock your bathroom door?  Closing it is enough; people knock and
identify themselves.

But yes, it's not good for public-facing auth, etc, and probably people
(like you!) who don't know what it is have used it as if it were secure,
so for that reason I agree with you, it's not the sort of standard that
should be promulgated.

-Mike